Indonesia-Malaysia Confront, The Timeline

The timeline of Indonesia-Malaysia Confront

December 8, 1962: In Brunei, the Tentara Nasional Kalimantan Utara (TNKU) rebels. They tried to capture the Sultan of Brunei, the oil fields and the European hostages. Sultan escapes and asks for British help. He received British and Gurkha troops from Singapore.

December 16, 1962: The British Far Eastern Command claims that all major rebel centres have been overcome.

January 20, 1963: Indonesian Foreign Minister Soebandrio announces a hostile attitude towards Malaysia.

April 17, 1963: Leader of rebellion is arrested and rebellion ends.

27 July 1963: President Soekarno proclaims “Ganyang Malaysia”.

September 16, 1963: The official Malaysian Federation was formed. Brunei refused to join & Singapore out later on.

September 17, 1963: An anti-Indonesian demonstration in Kuala Lumpur.

May 3, 1964: President Soekarno announces Dwikora.

May 1964: Indonesian troops start attacking the territory of the Malay Peninsula. A Standby Command was formed to coordinate the activities of the war against Malaysia (Operation Dwikora). This command then turns into Commando Mandala Siaga (Kolaga).

August 1964: Sixteen Indonesian armed agents arrested in Johor. The activities of the Indonesian Armed Forces at the border also increased. Royal Malaysian Army of Malaysia mobilised its troops to defend Malaysia. Only a few have been relegated and have to rely on border posts and command-line controls. Their main mission is to prevent Indonesian troops from entering Malaysia. Most of the parties involved in the armed conflict with Indonesia are Britain and Australia, especially their Special Air Service (SAS) special forces.

August 16, 1964: The troops of the Malaysian Askar Melayu Regime faced with fifty Indonesian guerrillas.

August 17, 1964: Paratroopers land on the southwest coast of Johor and try to form guerrilla forces.

2 September 1964: Paratroopers landed at Labis, Johor.

October 29, 1964: 52 soldiers landed in Pontian on the Johor-Malacca border and killed troops of the Royal Malaysian & New Zealand Askar Regiment and also cracked down on the Royal Malaysian Police Force Motion in Batu 20, Muar, Johor.

20 January 1965: Indonesia withdraws from UN.

January 1965: Australia agrees to send troops to Borneo after receiving many requests from Malaysia. Australian troops deploy 3 Royal Australian Regiments and Australian Special Air Service Regiment.

June 28, 1965: The Indonesian military crossed the border into eastern Sebatik Island near Tawau, Sabah and faced the Malay Askar Regiment in the King and North Borneo Armed Constabulary Police.

July 1, 1965: Indonesian military with a force of approximately 5000 people crashed into the Malaysian naval base in Semporna. Attacks and siege continued until 8 September but failed. This event is known as the “Siege of 68 Days” by Malaysians.

End of 1965: General Soeharto held power in Indonesia after the G30S / PKI. Due to this domestic conflict, Indonesia’s desire to continue the war with Malaysia was reduced and the war was eased.

May 28, 1966: At a conference in Bangkok, the Kingdom of Malaysia and the Indonesian government declare a conflict resolution. The violence ended in June, and a peace agreement was signed on August 11 and inaugurated two days later.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *